Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Painting Thrift Store Frames...

A friend and I were at Goodwill in Marietta GA and found some cute little frames with fancy detailing that were really inexpensive (I think I got them for $1 each), but really bad in color.. The round rose frame was white but it was really dingy looking, and the 3 1/2 x 5 was an ugly flesh color with black detailing.. But the detailing was just sort of sporatic, kind of half done...Anyway, I took these home and redid them in my standard bedroom colors of burgundy and black..

Needed for this project (both frames): Black spray paint, burgundy acrylic paint, black acrylic paint, paint brushes.


The white rose frame was a resin material so I basically just removed the glass and painted over it with burgundy acrylic paint. I did two coats to make sure I got the kind of dark burgundy that I like (since it was going over white), then I let it dry.





After it was dry I took a stiff paint brush and black paint and did the same dry brushing technique that I used on the 4x4 frame a couple of blogs prior to this except this time I left a bit more paint on my brush to get a nice firm black color on the roses. I love how it turned out...




The ornate corner 3 1/2 x 5 frame was a bit different. The type of material the frame was made of was a bit... rubbery? for lack of a better word, and not very porous, so I used black matte spray paint on it after removing the glass..This took almost no time and it only had to have one coat to get great coverage.





After I let it dry, I took it inside and got out my burgundy acrylic paint again. I got another stiff brush and, again, used the dry brushing technique to paint the inside detailed edging and the ornate corners of the frame.




After I was done with both I took them both outside and gave them a light dusting of gloss sealant to give them an extra bit of pick-me-up.

Total cost to re-do both frames (since I already had the paint) was just $2 for the frames themselves.


2 comments:

  1. Great finds ~ I love the details! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I'm really liking all the two toned effects folks are using with paint. I"m jealous that you can spraypaint! Too cold here for a few more months. I'm dying here :)

    Glad you could Mi4M....

    ReplyDelete