Saturday, March 27, 2010

Ballard Inspired this time...

I love iron pieces.. When I saw the monogrammed iron over the door piece from Ballard designs, I knew I wanted one.. The price tag? 129.99 for the small and 199.99 for the large.. I don't know about you, but there's no way I'd pay that. Not when I can make my own..

Admittedly, mine doesnt look as good, but it's more personal because I made it and it's in my silver color instead of the bronze/gold. (I intend to try again with a different iron piece next time)

I wanted to put mine outside initially but changed my mind.. As I was looking around my house for a door to put it over, I was having a bit of difficulty. Most of my doorways in my house are arched, with little room left above them.. That's when it hit me that I could add it to my "HOME" and coat rack wall.. I already had that awesome distressed looking HOME sign from Pier1 (I paid 19.99 on clearance but it was worth it) on that wall, and under that I had a wall mounted coat rack that was in the shape of an iron key that I got from Hobby Lobby for $7.50. But I felt like it was missing something..Now, I love it!!!!


Here's Ballards:



And here's Mine:






I started out with just a plain metal piece from Hobby Lobby.. I got mine when they were having half off metalware so it was $7.50.. I got the wood oval at the dollar tree, and the "E" was about $1.50 at Hobby Lobby.. I had the paint and the Epoxy on hand.

First I painted my pieces.. the iron piece was about an espresso color. I basically just dry brushed more black acrylic paint onto it.. The painted my oval piece black.. For my E I wanted it to be a bit different.. I first painted the E with silver acrylic paint, then immediately followed with black, so that my black wasnt a "hard" vibrant black. Then once that dried I dry brushed the silver over the black.. I finished it off with just a few hints of red dry brushed on (they're very faint and dont even show up in the pic). Then I sealed my pieces with spray sealant and then glued my pieces together using epoxy.. Easy as pie!




I'm Linked to:



The Girl Creative



and

16 comments:

  1. I LOVE the way yours turned out! I want one!!!! You did an awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole area looks amazing! I really like the blue on your wall. Great work.

    Thanks for the nice comment on my butterfly art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks wonderful! All of the pieces together are perfect! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! The BD price is just outrageous and your's is nicer! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like it! You did a great job with it!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had been admiring that Ballard thing too...now I know who to go to when I need to find out how to duplicate it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think yours turned out as nice as Ballards. I love it. Now could you please make me one?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh, love your knock off piece! I've been drooling over the original in the catalog. Now I know how to get the look for less.
    Thanks for sharing this.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I like yours better than Ballards. ~Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this - I love metal pieces like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute project! I love it. So funky and cool!

    Thanks for linking up to my party!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - love it! I'd like to invite you to come plant your creative seeds at my blog party: Plant a Punkin Seed at Punkin Seed Productions! It usually is on Fridays but is open all week as I'm doing a little give away!!! Hope to see you there!

    Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this. I love your blog. I a new blogger/crafter myself and your crafts inspire me. Glad i found you.
    My blog is creationsbyladeeda.blogspot.com. Nice to meet a new blog friend. I will follow yours now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Тoday, I went to the beасh front with my kids.
    Ӏ found a sea shеll anԁ gavе it to my 4 yeаr old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." Shе ρlaced thе shell tо her ear and ѕcreamed.
    There waѕ a hermit crab insidе and it pinсhed her eаr.
    Shе never ωants to go bacκ!
    LoL Ι κnoω this is completеly off topic but Ι haԁ to
    tеll someone!

    Also viѕit my ωeb ρagе;
    hcg diet drops

    ReplyDelete